2.26.2002

Today's Good Deed

So, feeling a tad under the weather, I left the office for lunch. Hit my favorite low-cost white-trash country-style restaurant to grab a cup of chili. While there, an elderly couple came in and was seated at a table near me, with their granddaughter. Menus are distributed, and the decision-making process begins. Apparently, gramps is in the mood for breakfast, but grandma informs him that they only serve it until eleven a.m., unlike "the usual place we go to, where they serve it all day." I dunno...I just didn't appreciate her tone. Seemed like a sweet old guy. His eyes caught mine, and I silently mouthed to him "They still serve it." He grinned, surprised by my mischievous input. When the waitress returned to take their orders, he asked if they had biscuits and sausage gravy.

"We sure do," replied the waitress. "Is that what you'd like?"

Grandma was none the wiser to our secret duplicity. He smiled at me again as I left.

{*grin*}

No comments: